Friday, February 26, 2010

Fire starter


"Eegs, devil on my shoulder"
24x30", oil on board
June 2006
SOLD


This was made a week after attending the Massive Black workshop. I had heard one of the dudes talking about painting with primary colors in the dark with only a candle as your light source or something? So that's what i did in the wee hours of the morning. I didn't have an easel so i painted on a mirror frame i had picked up on the street. As the daylight filled my bedroom, I saw what kind of crazy colors happened with the candle light trick and I finished the damn thing oh so smoothly. In 6 or 7 hours, I had painted a life-size portrait from a picture on which my friend Igor's head is as big as the tip of my pinky.

On the following Monday i gave my 2 weeks notice at the restaurant and declared myself a portrait painter!

I could! Because after showing "Eegs" to my family, I got 5 portrait commissions which would, with my accumulated 4% from work, cover my rent and living expenses for 6 months!

No comments: