Sunday, April 18, 2010

13

I've been spending some time up north in the new year. My mom has a nice big piece of land with houses at each ends. I've been using the little blue house on the highway as my studio away from home.

Picasso's "Les Demoiselle d'Avignon"




"13"
48x48", oil on canvas
2010
For Sale


13 was made for my participation in this year's erotic group show at Usine 106u gallery. It took so much time throwing paint at the canvas to figure out what I wanted to paint in a "sexual" context. I couldn't think up anything decent... At the time I was reading "Picasso, Creator and Destroyer" and I decided it would be a fun idea to repaint "les demoiselles d'Avignon" but with a realism/lowbrow approach. In the process, I started seeing other women in the composition. They kept adding up until there was 13. Eve and the 12 apostles got mixed up in there, a halo popped up... you can interpret what you like.

This painting was a major achievement for me as it was painted straight from my head with absolutely no reference whatsoever. Only me and my mind, some paint (all blue apparently) and a big ass canvas in the woods up north.

I celebrated it's success to say the least:

Cedric Taillon - 13 from Ben Philippi on Vimeo.

Thanks a million to Ben Philippi who showed up to my opening, partied with me and whipped out his camera in my face by surprise and edited the whole thing on his own! Holy shit what a great and talented guy you are Ben. Be sure to check out his excellent films by hitting the Vimeo link below the vid.

No comments: