Saturday, April 17, 2010

live girls

It's so key, at least for me, to paint from life. This is a fact for many reasons. First of all, it's a motivating factor to have somebody else depend on your success with the painting. And, of course, the naked eye is always the best lens to look through to really see things. Great art is made by absorbing information and putting it back out there changed for the better, in a personal way. The less obstacles there are between what you take in and what you put out, the purer and more "you" the piece will become. I said it before, working from photo reference makes me feel like a photocopie machine... There's none of that when the girl is in front of you. What your eye sees is constantly changing so the mind must fill the "inbetweens" on it's own, it romanticizes things, and that's what people love to see!




"Miss Franche"
24x30", oil on canvas
2009
SOLD

First girl I was ever in love with... Painted her a decade later!
The process was very smooth. No real problems anywhere, the light sources were real nice and of different hues, it helped define my forms easily. The dress was kind of a pain but not really. Pretty funny how my model kept pouty lips for hours of pose... lol!

-------------------






"Sarah on Zebra"
12x16" oil on canvas
2009
Permanent collection of the City of Baie-comeau

Sarah is a good friend of mine who posed for me before she flew back to France last autumn. She was psyched to do it, which is awesome because I owed the city of Baie-Comeau a painting since the summer and needed a model to work with! Sarah fronts punk bands on 2 continents and is not a shy girl, and that's pretty sick because for a prestigious collection like the city of Baie-Comeau, I was pretty sure I wanted to paint boobs. It's now the second pair in there, next to Denis Jacques' painting from 1999 (check him out, he's sick, www.denisjacques.ca)

On the night before our first scheduled session on this painting, Sarah and I went to a shitty auction in a bar that our friends from Douteux.com were throwing as a fundraiser for the site. I got wasted and bought this weird Santa Claus costume for 15 bucks. We were all hanging outside and I was thinking next year i should paint something for their festival and the guys were like "whoa, dude, just do it tomorrow night!" So instead of painting boobies, I painted this odd portrait of Sarah in the suit live in the bar while bands were playing. The painting sold that same night and we drank all the money.



"Santa Sarah"
40x28" oil on old laminated poster
2008
SOLD


-------------------



"Kim study"
24x30" oil on board
2007
SOLD






"There's something in the air"
24x30, oil on board
2007-2009
For sale


First time painting a live model on my own! She was a friend of my roommate and I and she must've posed for something like 30 or 40 hours for this. It helped that she was crushing on him hard at the time and used modeling for me as an excuse to end up in his bed! That's probably why she looks a little pissed off in the painting, she'd rather be over in the other dude's bed already! She might also have been pissed off because she doesn't exactly look like how I painted her. That's why she insisted I paint an accurate portrait of her (up top).

It was supposed to be my roommate sitting, back towards us, in there but he didn't want to pose for it when he saw how long it took with the girl! In the end he took a picture me and I used myself as a model to finish off my scene. There was a problem tho... The camera did'nt pick up on the colors my eyes had seen with my live model. It saw the scene in tones of blue instead of my yellows... I had to go over what I had painted so that the 2 characters looked like they were in the same universe. A pain, but you learn after that, moreso you anticipate your results and you lubricate your process.
Lube it up bitch!

This painting was painted sporadically over 3 years time, and in many different places too. I started it in my apartment in Montreal, painted some in Vermont, some in Maine, then in my new studio in Montreal and I finished the thing up north in Baie-Comeau city. That's where I got inspired to finally figure out what exactly was "in the air".

Below is me in an improvised studio in the basement of a house by the sea in Phippsburg, Maine.

No comments: